What the heck, I’m in! I’ve been holding out and not wanting to jump on the bandwagon with New Years Resolutions that I couldn’t or wouldn’t keep, but I’ve realized now that I have a lot I want to do this year, and I might as well allow all of you to hold me too my ideas. It’s now in writing, archived and searchable. Most of the following entries are things that I want to do more of, or add more of, to Catavino, but I need to know what you think. Answer the questions I ask, and help me craft my resolutions to better serve all of you!
- Grapes – After a recent experience with trying to find some information on grape varietals here in Spain, I realized something way too obvious, I shouldn’t have to go to Google to find this information. I should only have to go to Catavino.net for it! Thus, I realized that while from time to time we do grape profiles, we’ve never put a comprehensive page together for the grapes of Spain and Portugal. Done! Now we’ll be adding two big links so that people can, in an orderly way, learn all they want to know about our myriad grape varieties. I’m planning on for now a simple page with a list and short description of the grape. Anything special we should add to each one?
- Photos – I love taking them and I really like sharing them. You may follow me on flickr or at my photo site, but I figure why not bring more of them here. How about a wine related slideshow from time to time? Let me know what you think and how you want photos better integrated in Catavino and I’ll see what I can do!
- Recipes and Food – I used to be head chef of a small restaurant in Minnesota. I love to cook. I love to eat. And I love to create fun new dishes. Why not add more of that info here? Thoughts? Tell me what you want to know and how you want to see it, and I’ll do more to add my take on food here at Catavino. Josh Weitzer will be joining us this year to help out in describing some of the more traditional dishes, maybe I can play with my takes on them? hmmmm
- Books – I’m in on the book club that Dr Debs started, and I definitely will participate as the year moves on. I can’t promise every book will be read by me, but I’ll be trying to read other ones in the months I take off to make up for it.
- Taste more and keep better notes – We’ve struggled with notes and how to incorporate them into the site. For now, we’re sticking with the newsletter format, but personally I want to make a better effort to take notes on all wines I drink. One question though, our notes are rarely commented on. Who out there appreciates tasting notes and in what style do you prefer them? Do you like them shorter/longer? Do they need to have suggested food pairings? Do points matter to you?
Ok that was quick and dirty, and I actually do have a lot of other ideas in my head too, but for now, I’ll leave it at that. All of the above can eventually become habits, and thus easier to accomplish, but I do want to hear you suggestions too.
PS the Picture above is from our recent trip to Norway, check out my flickr photos for more!