On top of that last Friday I had the chance to taste 18 of the 2003 vintage ports. All I have to say is wow! Big and beautiful, I’ll have my notes up some time in the next week.
Below I’m posting a few notes I took at Iberwine, from the Pago’s de Espana booth. Basically these are properties that are not playing by the DO system, and claiming that their vineyards are unique and different. All aim to maintain a high level of quality and with one exception I would agree. So stay tuned and enjoy the notes.
Till soon, Ryan
- 2002 Celler de Cantonella Costers del Segre Cérvoles – Spain, Catalunya, Costers del Segre (12/1/2005)
Cabernet Sauvignon – Tempranillo – Merlot blend
Reddish burgundy in color with a nose of earthy mineral, and smokey oak. I think there is some fruit behind it! In the mouth it is fresh and alive with firm tannins that are strong on the palate. Flavors of red fruit, green pepper, milk chocolate, cherries and mint.
- 2002 Mas Doix Priorat Salanques – Spain, Catalunya, Priorat (12/1/2005)
Nose shows dirt, cinnamon, and spice with a background of fruit. In the mouth the acid is soft with strong firm tannins that seem mature. Black fruit, with light pepper, earth, mineral(schist). Defiantly needs some time to calm down.
- 2000 Bodegas Uribes Madero Vino de la Tierra de Castilla y León Calzadilla – Spain, Castilla y León, Vino de la Tierra de Castilla y León (11/29/2005)
60% Tempranillo, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon
Rich purple/red in color. Nose of sour barnyard, sweet blackberry with some mixed spices. Medium weight with medium acid and soft fully mature tannins. Flavors of cherry, raspberry, mixed spices all linger on a 20 second finish.
- 2000 Marqués de Griñon Vinos de Pago Emeritus Dominio de Valdepusa – Spain, Castilla-La Mancha, Vinos de Pago (11/29/2005)
Deep dark purple in color with a nose of sweet raspberry and black berry followed by a hint of dusty earth. Rich and soft in the mouth the tannins are fine. Flavors of soft raspberry and mixed spices.
- 2003 Finca Sandoval Manchuela – Spain, Castilla-La Mancha, Manchuela (11/29/2005)
Deep purple in color (intense). Nose of barnyard, and red fruits with a hint of dark spices. Firm tannins and medium acid in the mouth. While flavors of big fruit, plum, cherry, blackberry, and smokey oak all mingle on the palate. Really a fun wine.