Does the title sound familiar? Over the past few months, Dr.Vino has been posting articles with the header: Impossible Food and Wine Pairings, asking readers to suggest wines that fit the niche food, or comfort food, that we typically don’t think pair with wine. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading the suggestions and combinations people have come up with, and am always on the look out for something new that I might not have thought of before.
But today, I am going to ask you to do the reverse. I want to know your Wine and Food pairings for port wine! However, I want to add few qualifiers to make it more challenging and entertaining.
Remember, think outside the box!
- Dessert with a dessert wine makes sense, but who says you have to do this? What have you drank port with that wasn’t sweet? Maybe you can’t marry port with savory foods, but then again, maybe you can. Tell us your thoughts and any experiences that you might have had.
- Appetizers are usually served before the meal, but can you pair them with port? Discuss!
- What is the perfect tune for an aged tawny? A virile vintage? A cocky crusted? Check out Bill’s example in the comments section of this post.
- In my world, port wine is for wooing women. What is the perfect pairing of moods with port for a romantic evening?
- Hell, let’s have fun, what should you wear? What is an LBV’s perfect ensemble?
Post your thoughts in the comments. If anyone wants to do a post on any, or all the above, we’ll reprint it here or just link back to us and your trackback will be logged in the comments of this post. Above all, have fun with this! And remember, we’re not joking when we say that we honestly want to know if you’ve ever had the perfect 5 course meal paired solely with port wine!
Check out Alder’s ideas for pairing wine with experiences!