Portuguese soups are not only ubiquitous at every meal, but are a testament of chef’s skill behind the stove. Overflowing with vegetables, soups are mandatory at every single meal, regardless if the summer heat radiates off the kitchen sill. It’s easy to digest, cleans out the refrigerator and when spiced with love, is absolutely delicious with a glass of Portuguese wine.
- Add the diced carrots, potatoes, onion and leeks to a large pot with water and salt (to taste).
- Boil and when all is cooked, reduce heat and puree (a handheld blender works best). If it’s too thick, add a bit more water and heat up again (Note: it’s a creamy soup, so it should be on the slightly thicker side).
- Add about three/four drizzles of quality olive oil and salt (to taste).
- Finish with freshly-chopped Mint or Cilantro.
- Serve with toasted bread.