You never know how long it will take. Therefore I’m offering for you part 3 of 3 in the translation of Spanish Wine Harvest Report, with a promise of part 4 yet to come. Let me know if you’ve enjoyed these translations. I’m still hearing that the wine produced this year in Spain, is of a good quality though we’ll have to wait to see how much of it is produced!
Till soon, Ryan Opaz
CASTILLA Y LEON
The behavior of the plant has been satisfactory after a dry winter, with very little rains throughout the vegetative cycle. The production is considered moderate, with a reduction in relation to the previous year between 25-30%. This is considered positive from a quality point of view as the size of the berry in general is small.
It must be emphasized that the vegetative cycle has developed about 10-12 days earlier than a normal year, due to meteorological conditions. The sugar concentration in the berry came earlier than what can be considered full phenolic maturation. The fullness of the grape took place in an irregular way and the climatological conditions of drought and high temperatures during the maturation process are causing a very fast maturity of the grape with regard to alcohol, but a slow physiological maturity. This implies an imbalance in the development of this last stage of the previous grapevine at the time of Harvest is denoted.
- Conca de Barberà -The harvest has come earlier by a week to 10 days. The quality prospect as far as graduations and health of the grape concern, is very good. Reduction of 30% due to the strong influence of the drought.
- Costers del Segre - Again, the drought responsible for a reduction in the harvest by 20% in volume . The vines display a good vegetative state with optimal health. The quality of the grape is optimal.
- Empordà -Costa Brava - The vegetative state of the vineyard is good, the absence of diseases favor the optimal health of the grapes which display good maturity. The harvest is expected to be of good quality, with a production of 12% less than that of last year. The influence of stress caused by the drought has not been remarkable.
- Penedès - During the winter there were low temperatures, frosts and snow. which provided a favorable hydrometric state to the grapevine. The spring was dry, with sporadic rains sufficient enough for a good bud break and slow development of the plants. The hot and dry summer has allowed for slow growth of the vines, in some cases with little vegetation. At the present time, the grapes display an excellent degree of maturation and very good health due to the drought. The harvest will be affected by the drought, with quantities 25 to 30% less than last year’s harvest, depending on the variety, but within the average values for recent years.
- Priorato - The vegetative state of the vineyard is average due to the strong influence of the drought. The health of vineyard is good, the clusters have had a normal fullness with normal sized fruit and normal maturity and quality. The harvest is anticipated to be smaller by 15% as compared to last year.
- Tarragona - The vegetative and health of the vineyard is good, the clusters have normal fullness with normal sized fruit with good maturity and quality. The harvest is anticipated to be smaller by 10% as compared to last year. In this zone the influence of the hydric stress caused by the drought has not been remarkable.
- Terra Alta - The vineyard displays optimal health with a good degree of maturity. The harvest will be 25% less than the past year. The influence of the drought is varied. In are as of less fertile land without irrigation the stress of the drought is much greater. The varieties most affected by the drought are macabeo, and red grenache, this later due to imbalance between number of grapes and total foliage. In general we observed levels of complete acidity, low, due to the reduction of malic acid. In general we saw lower levels of total acid with a notably lower level of malic.
The drought and the effects of the frosts caused a small bud break are the main causes of the reduction of the harvest between 35 and 40%. The vineyard displays a regular vegetative state with normal health and maturity. The number of clusters is the same as a normal year, but due to the drought, they have lower weight with smaller and less berries. Some vineyards with great number of clusters or which were affected by the winter frosts, display a deficient vegetative development. Some are as have been affected by hail storms, green mosquito and yellow spider.
- Rías Baixas - The fruits are in an optimal condition; the clusters are large and are healthy. The weather has been favorable in this area, mainly in the period of flowering, the fundamental stage for the fullness of the fruit. T he weather in recent days is allowing the preparations for harvest to develop normally, occurring a few days early. The campaign is expected to be very abundant, slightly inferior to the production numbers of last year. However this should be the largest harvest in the history of this D.O .
- Ribeira Sacra - The vineyard displays good vegetative conditions, having achieved a grape with good maturity and in optimal health. The fruit has good fullness reaching optimal size and good quality. The harvest is expected to be 5-10% more than last year in spite of the drought.
- Ribeiro - The weather has been very favorable in this zone, creating very good maturation and excellent health. A positive aspect being the small size of the grape and a negative aspect being the excessively lower acidity than that which is usually present in this DO. The harvest will be similar in size to last year.
The general health of the vineyards throughout the “Denominación” is excellent, and there has been good evolution in the maturation of the grape giving a positive balance to the general conditions of the vineyard. The vegetative state is being favored by the good weather, facilitating the correct maturation of the grape. A moderately cold winter, a rainy spring with absence of frosts and a dry summer with a little hydraulic stress, will favor a harvest that, although smaller in quantity than in previous years, assures extraordinary quality.
- Jumilla - The vegetative state of the vineyard is normal, with the grapes reaching normal size and being of good quality. The quality of the harvest will be good, slightly less than last year due to the drought.