On July 27th, 2004, well before wineries were cognizant that the internet existed, Lenn Thompson of the New York Cork Report launched Wine Blog Wednesday, becoming one of the longest running online wine events. The very first WBW was titled, “Inexpensive New World Merlot that is not from the United States“, hosted by Lenn, but each edition thereafter was handed to blogs from around the world interested in having wine lovers share their passion over a given theme.
In 2007, Catavino played host to “Portuguese Table Wines, excluding Port and Madeira“, attracting 32 bloggers from around the world chiming in with their favorite Iberian treasures. For Catavino, as the online wine community was still in its infancy, it provided us the opportunity to meet wine lovers who were as curious about Portuguese wines as we are; whereby forming some incredible friendships that have still remained with us to date – Lenn Thompson included.
Sadly, as time passed, life got the better of us bloggers, and many found that they just didn’t have the same enthusiasm, or spare moment, to keep it going. A short hiatus ensued, and when Lenn recently contacted us to restart the WBW tradition by hosting #70, we emphatically said “YES!”, suggesting Spain as our topic. Of course, we do need to provide a few caveats. So in the tradition of WBW, here’s what we propose:
- Choose a Spanish wine or wines to taste on Wednesday the 16th of February.
- Seek out Spanish wines that you’ve never had before! Get creative! Hunt for unique styles such as a Sherry, Cava, Fondillon or Mistella; an unheard of region like Arribes, Txakoli de Alava or Extremadura; or a unique native grape like Prieto Picudo or Treixadura.
- Write a post about the wine, flushing it out with life and subtle detail, then publish it on Wednesday, February 16th.
- Tweet about it with the tag: #WBW70 thus creating a live tasting by time zone as we go around the globe!
- Finally, send an email to us with a link to your article and include the subject line: “WBW #70 Submission
When all is said and done, we’ll publish a wrap up post on our site, not only allowing you to get a sense of what’s out there, but also providing the masses with a little education on Spanish wine from around the world.
Remember we live here, so if you have any questions, you can always ask any of our team members at Catavino, and we’ll happily lend a hand. So never hesitate to pipe up with comments or questions, because that’s why we’re here!
I know we’re excited to be a part of the second life of WBW, and we hope you are too! Please join us! And if you don’t have a blog, but are just a Catavino reader, you can join in too! Just pick a wine and taste it on the 16th of February along with all of us. Please post a note to Facebook, Twitter, or just send us an email with your thoughts and we’ll post it here for all to enjoy!
Wine Blog Wednesday is on the return and coming your way!!!
Ryan, Gabriella and the entire Catavino Team.